Congratulations! You have decided to get breast augmentation surgery. Many Corpus Christi women have decided on breast augmentation to look like the best version of themselves or as many women have expressed after having children, “to feel like a woman again”. Understanding the recovery period will relieve any unnecessary concerns and will educate the patient so that they experience the best, smoothest outcome. Not only is the decision to get a breast augmentation a huge one (no pun intended), but it is a surgical procedure, one from which Corpus Christi women will need to temporarily restrict their normal activities to allow their bodies to heal and recover. To help you understand what your recovery time will be like from a breast augmentation, we’ve prepared this list of breast augmentation recovery “do’s” and “don’ts”.
When Dr. Rose performs your breast augmentation, he will provide you with a list of recovery instructions. To ensure a safe and speedy recovery, not to mention a more comfortable one, you’ll want to follow these instructions exactly. They include:
- Making sure that you have someone lined up to drive you home after your breast augmentation. Because you’ll be receiving anesthesia for your surgery, you won’t be able to drive yourself home.
- Schedule a friend or family member to stay home with you for the first few days after your surgery to help you get around the house and take care of any chores you want to avoid. Taking care of young children or large pets can be vexing during the first few days of postsurgical care. Plan ahead so that you can rest without concerns.
- Plan to sleep on your back during the first few weeks after your surgery. Get pillows or a comfortable recliner so that you can be comfortable and compliant with all postsurgical instructions.
- Depending on the surgical approach (subfascial vs. submuscular), plan to take at least 4 – 7 days off from work both inside and outside the home. Patients are typically doing light work and chores (no heavy lifting) by 4 –to 6 days post surgery. Again the surgical technique and implant size can influence your recovery period.
- Massaging your breasts daily, once Dr. Rose has cleared you to do so, to help prevent capsular contracture, a complication of breast augmentation surgery in which thickened tissue forms around your breast implants, making them appear hardened and/or
- Maintaining a healthy diet to promote healing.
- Calling Dr. Rose ASAP if you develop a fever or any significant redness or swelling. While extremely uncommon, this could be a sign of an infection following your breast augmentation and requires immediate attention.
Dr. Rose’s post-op instructions aren’t just a list of things to do. He’ll be providing you with a list of plenty of things to avoid, too, in order to facilitate your recovery and to achieve your goals. This means that you won’t be able to:
- Lift or carry anything heavy in the first few weeks after your breast augmentation, including your children.
- Pushing or pulling anything heavy. This may include pushing your children in a stroller or an overloaded grocery basket.
- Sleep on your stomach. Doing so can not only be painful after getting a breast augmentation, but it can also impact your results.
- Get your breasts wet, either in a bath, hot tub, or pool, immediately after your breast augmentation.
- While smoking and tobacco use do not affect breast augmentation surgery as significantly as other plastic surgery procedures, smoke cigarettes or using tobacco, both negatively impact your body’s ability to heal. Rose recommends that all of his Corpus Christi breast augmentation patients quit smoking at least 4 weeks before and 4 weeks after their breast augmentation – if not altogether – to allow for a safe surgery and proper healing.
Speaking with Dr. Rose to Learn More about Breast Augmentation Surgery
If you’re considering getting a breast augmentation, or have already decided to take the plunge, then wait no more! Call Dr. Rose at his Corpus Christi office at (361) 651-1200 to schedule an appointment and start your journey to a more beautiful you.